Importing some old old posts from another blog I seem to have forgotten about… I did end up making these and now I’ve merged the recipe into my standard operating procedures for mashed potato… Which is always nice.
Another recipe i plan to make soon… Gourmet Comfort food… mmm tasty :) Colcannon Potatoes
A traditional Irish side dish also known as Bubble and Squeak. Our version is updated with green onions and parsley.
* 8 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
* 1/4 cup white vinegar
* 3 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1/2 cup 2% milk
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
* 1 pinch white pepper
* 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
* 3 cups finely sliced savoy cabbage, steamed until tender
* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and add the white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt.
2. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until completely tender, about 25 minutes. Test that potatoes are done by piercing them with a fork. They should be tender.
3. Drain potatoes in a colander and let them steam-dry for 3 minutes.
4. Heat the milk in a small saucepan.
5. Place potatoes back in pot, add warmed milk and mash. Tip: Use a food mill or potato ricer to get the creamiest results.
6. Mix in butter, remaining salt, white pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
7. Stir the savoy cabbage, green onions and Italian parsley into the potatoes.
Nutrients per serving: 159 calories, 2.5 g protein, 8.6 g fat, 19 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre. Excellent source of vitamin B6.