Feb
2007

Video: Me Making coffee

So this is my routine for making coffee. I have a Rancilio Silvia and a Rancilio Rocky. I roast my own beans from time to time, but most of the time I can’t be bothered and ended up buying some from a local roaster. This little clip is not a single continuous scene… unfortunately I’m not coordinated enough to do the whole thing perfectly as well as one handed in one take. So it’s from a few different sessions of me finding ways to occupy myself that don’t involve actual work.

Feel free to laugh or cringe, whichever takes your fancy.

Print This Post Print This Post

15 Responses to “Video: Me Making coffee” (996 views)

1. I enjoyed that. Nice technique. The crema looked stunning. Well done.

February 27, 2007 at 10:01 am Reply
  2. at

hi matt, i can fwd u a copy of the instructions to PID your silvia if you are interested

February 27, 2007 at 11:28 am Reply
  3. One for me please :)
    You seem to have a bit of a coffee obsession going on. I understand, I’ve got one myself.

February 27, 2007 at 11:42 am Reply
  4. How about some footage of you doing the artwork? I’m always fascinated by that.

February 27, 2007 at 6:51 pm Reply
  5. Cheers Amelita, the technique looks a bit sloppy to me know, I recorded that bit a while back, but only just put it together now… and I still cringe when I see how long I let the shot run for… should have stopped it about 5 seconds sooner before it blonded out… but agreed, the rest of that shot was great.

at, I’m no electronics expert… I’ve gone over the guides on how to PID my machine a few times now, but I always baulk at it… I might invest in one of the kits (from http://www.pidkits.com) and get someone who isn’t going to blow themself up to do it for me… Have you modded one yourself… and were you at the Fiori tasting session ?

GP, obsessive compulsive would be more accurate way to describe my coffee fascination, but thanks for understanding… I hope you get your coffee robot one day.

Anthony, I’ve got a few videos in the archives (actually in the related posts section on this page) showing latte art in motion… I may have to do another one myself soon, but performance anxiety tends to get the better of me every time I try to record it.

February 27, 2007 at 10:02 pm Reply
  6. I’m salivating as I watch this video. My Silvia/Rocky’s due any tick of the clock. Looking forward to it. Thanks for helping me find them. Like the background music. What is it?

March 1, 2007 at 7:38 am Reply
  7. at

hi matt yes i was. I am still finding out how to mod my machine. I have the full pidkits.com instructions, and I think if you go through it, it may not seem as scary as you think

March 1, 2007 at 11:27 am Reply
  8. Hey Alex, thanks for that… Silvia and Rocky will serve you well with a few tips and tricks :) The music is “In Grid – Tu Es Foutu”, for an alternative video clip almost as cool as mine, check this out

At: I know who you are now :) Feel free to send over the instructions, I’d be keen to see some “official” documentation on how to do it, rather than the guides that have been floating around the web that seem to be a bit light on details. If I can feel confident about doing it, then I might give it a go.

March 1, 2007 at 2:40 pm Reply
  9. Fer

Hi Matt- I loved the video. It was relaxing to watch. What would of made it better if you could of handed me a cup to drink at the end! I agree with the above-I, too want to see you do the art!

March 2, 2007 at 2:18 pm Reply
  10. Hey Fer,

Due to yours and others popular demand, I’ll be doing a video of me ATTEMPTING to pour latte art shortly… attempting is emphasised because I am no pro barista, and there are too many factors that can go wrong for me to do it perfectly every time…

I’ll also get to work on the internet coffee delivery system :)

March 3, 2007 at 8:33 am Reply
  11. Hi again. Thanks the the link to the cool French music. Do you know Paris Combo? Nice blend of French jazz, middle eastern, etc. http://www.myspace.com/pariscombo I have their CD if you’d like to hear more.

March 5, 2007 at 7:53 am Reply
  12. You’re a good teacher my friend. I had much more success with the milk today! Thanks!

March 10, 2007 at 7:44 am Reply
  13. ant

hey dude,

thanks for the clip it was pretty good. I really liked the music too and off I go. It looks like this will be a cd purchase too wooooo :)

March 12, 2007 at 7:58 pm Reply
  14. Cheers Alex, the Naked portafilter is coming in handy too… although I can’t say I’ve been impressed with some of the pours… but I guess it’s doing it’s job in highlighting my tamping and dosing issues.

Ant: glad you got a kick out of it… :)

March 14, 2007 at 12:54 pm Reply
  15. RC

Matt, did you ever get the Pidkit instructions?

I am also a little nerves about piding my Silvia.

If you got them could you pass them along?

the video looks great by the way

RC