Well I’ve been given a sympathy tag for this Meme by the always friendly Ange of Vicious Ange (who’s website is about as vicious as mine is abstract… or gourmet for that matter).
So here goes with the 5 things meme.
5 items in the freezer
- Breadcrumbs: you never know when you will need them and I can never be bothered getting the food processor out to chomp them up… So when i finally give in to the relentness need for bread filling in my dishes, I make lots and freeze the rest.
- Ice cubes: Ummm yeh… You fill up these little trays with water and then put them in drinks to make them cold. I know what you’re thinking… I was amazed too the first time I heard about them.
- Chicken Stock ala Michel Roux: I just bought Michel Roux’s excellent book called “Sauces”. I should probably not admit to this, but i’ve never made my own stock before, and so just last night while waiting for the football game to start, I put together a couple of litres of chicken stock. It turned out great… So i’ve got a litre in fridge, and froze the rest.
- Turkish Bread Burgers – I love turkish bread… but I’m not organised enough to make sure I always but it fresh. So from time to time I buy a bunch of loaves and freeze them. Not as great as fresh bread of course, but after defrosting and toasted it over a flame, its great.
- Bugger… I really don’t use my freezer that much… I’m stuck already… now i know why I don’t get tagged for these things. Lets go with Chorizo… which is technically in the fridge and not the freezer, but is becoming more and more of a staple food for me every time I use it. I think I could plan an entire meal around that one sausage…
5 items in my closet
- My safari suit – The best $20 I’ve ever spent at the Good Sammy’s. That suit has seen some good times, and has a way of turning every party into a 70’s cheese fest. Plastic white rimmed, rose coloured aviator glasses are the perfect companion.
- A wooden tennis raquet – Which was probably pretty top of the range back when Bjorn Borg ruled the courts… but has since faded into anonymity since your fancy carbon fibre types came along… It’s really there only to make a fourth raquet alongside the rest of my collection, just in case I ever need to organise an impromptu game of doubles and noone else has a raquet… which may just happen one day.
- Countless shoes that don’t belong to me – I have no idea where they all came from, I think some of them evolved in there, or were created through some kind of molecular fission. Either way, every time I open the closet there are more shoes in there than before.
- Bull worker – I inherited this from my Dad. I have no idea how to use it, or why anyone ever would. I can however confirm that bulging pecs and ripped lats are a little more difficult to attain than squeezing this thing occasionally.
- About 20kg of green coffee beans – Storage space is limited these days, and cool dry storage space even more so. Hence whenever I order my green coffee online it gets sent back in nice little cotton sacks and is safely stored away in the closet for me to roast when the urge strikes.
5 items in my car
- Takeaway coffee cups – That I buy myself… to make takeaway coffee at home (which means I can still make myself a coffee in the morning even if I’m running late for work).
- CD’s without cases and CD cases without CD’s – It’s about as bad as the ongoing missing sock fiasco in my drawers, but I can never seem to find the CD I want to listen to in the actual case it came in, and when I do find the CD, there is never a matching case… Coincidence ?? I think not !
- Picnic Blanket – because you never know when the need to picnic is going to strike, and I hate getting grass stains on my knees. It’s tartan of course…because I think it’s a requirement that all picnic blankets be tartan.
- Jumper leads – It’s happened one too many times and I refuse to be at the complete mercy of strangers in car parks again.
- Not petrol – I think a car needs to earn its petrol. Really… If you give it to them all the time they get complacent. I make my car work for it. If I can’t drive for at least 3 days with the little orange fuel light on, then something is seriously awry. Suprisingly I have only run out of fuel completely once.
5 items in my purse
Well we can see who this meme is catered towards can’t we ?? :) Lets go with wallet.
- A membership card to a video library that closed down about 4 years ago. It was a lifetime membership when I got it, so i’m hanging onto it just in case they ever open up again. It’ll save so much time having to reapply.
- Every drivers licence i’ve had in the last 5 years… Some from when I had facial hair and some without. Just in case I need to get myself into a nightclub but I don’t look enough like myself for them to believe it’s me.
- An advanced go-kart licence – That means I get to drive the fast go-karts when I go to Kart World… Which are infinitely faster than the normal ones. Yeh, i know you’re jealous…
- Timezone VIP Powercard – I don’t know if Timezone even still exists, back in the day it was the best chain of video game arcades around, before Xbox’s and Nintedo’s and Playstations killed the market. They brought out these Powercards God knows how long ago to make it so you don’t use coins in the machines… My VIP status card meant I got discounts on games. That was a serious status symbol back then.
- Enough Subway stamps to get a footlong for free !! – I haven’t been to subway in a long time, but I still seem to accumulate the stamps. Not the greatest meal, but sometimes (and i mean rarely) the thought of a footlong meatball sub smothered in bbq sauce just gets to me.
And I’m done… That was suprisingly fun… Perhaps because I got to tell a lot more stories than would otherwise have made it in under the “gourmet food” classification I tend to apply to myself. Thanks again to Ange for letting me know.
I hereby blanket tag anyone who reads this post that runs their own blog and hasn’t participated yet. Yeah, that means you ! Sucka.
8 thoughts on “5 Things I Know About Me.”
Yep, TZ at least still exists in Northbridge. While waiting for some dinner friends to show up last night we took a wander in and had a look around for old times sake. The place was near empty and filled with die-hards. The sort that either aren’t allowed to play the games at home or feel the need to be social while they detune to the electric noise. TZ certainly isn’t for someone that can’t afford a PS2 or XB. Games start at $1.50 for Powercard users. Most are around $2. At those prices it’s pretty easy to spend as much as you would if you bought your own system. But then perhaps I’m just being a nostalgic old fart. I remember when Space Invaders cost 10c to play.
Good to learn some ‘useful’ facts wbout you Matt like what’s with the subway – I cant beleive you eat that stuff, the only time I have ever enjoyed it has been drunk! Though I have to admit to having a thing for Maccas brekkies – only with a hangover of course. Mmm, think I better stop now, starting to create a pattern & think people may start to beleive I’m really just an alcoholic after all!
I think you need to have a good clean out, especially out of your wardrobe and your wallet! Seriously, that bullworker is a relic that’s never been used, except if I recall rightly, by someone wearing a safari suit at parties! I feel it’s necessary for me to quote a line from Oprah and suggest that you “get rid of anything that doesn’t make you feel alive anymore”. It’s therapetic to have a good spring clean. Head to the Belmont swap meet.
I meant therapeutic. Turn that trash into cash!
Hey Skribe, thanks for letting me know… I’ll have to drop by next time and renew my position as worlds worst air hockey player. I’m not in the space invaders vintage…but I do remember searching mum and dad’s room for 20c pieces to go to the fish and chip shop and play Double Dragon… good times.
Hey Ange, Yes, i may have just burst my own little gourmet bubble… although the day I see McDonalds running an ad campaign saying that eating their burgers will make you lose weight… I’ll know the end is nigh. So subway I can handle in moderation.
and Sister B… as much as I love Oprah and all her fine associated programming, and as much as I am a fan of going to swap meets and sitting on a dirty blanket all day while people try and bargain me down to 50c for a perfectly good pair of used bbq tongs… I think I’ll leave it to the experts. Although if I recall correctly… taking $2 for a pair of University text books that cost me over $100, was not your finest piece of salesmanship.
You have a safari suit??!? LOL…
And I had to follow your link to find out what the heck a bullworker was. The images I had in my head – not fit to share ;P
Ok, I’m going to do this meme too, sometime :)
Ahh yeh, that safari suit has seen some good times. It’s one of my favourite alter egos. If I had of thought anyone would know what a bullworker was I wouldn’t have added the link…So don’t worry, im sure you weren’t the only one to get the wrong idea :)
you’re going to have to cash in on your subway footlong before the end of this year or it’ll be as useful as your video store card. As of december 31st subway will discontinue its stamps, so you’d better hurry.
see you tonight hombre.
P.S – toasted meatball sub with honey mustard is nice too.